Sometimes in order to survive the stresses of college, one just needs to escape. That’s what I like to do, at least! Last weekend a few of my friends and I decided to take a little trip to the Garden of the Gods in Illinois to connect with nature, clear our heads and absorb some sunlight — all while getting some quality exercise. Oh, and some quality pictures too!
For those of you readers who live in Evansville, Garden of the Gods is only about an hour and a half away from here! It’s a great little day (or weekend) get away. There is a campground there and some free campsites for those wilderness lovers! 🙂 But on our trip, we decided to just spend the day hiking and enjoying the weather.
Some things that you may want to remember to bring on your adventure might be:
- Water!! My friend Jordan brought a hug jug that we could come back to and fill up our water bottles throughout the day because hydration is always extremely important.
- Athletic shoes or hiking boots are recommended because there are rocks everywhere that could hurt you if you wear open-toed shoes. Plus it can be muddy or dusty out there which makes wearing sandals/chacos less appropriate.
- Cameras. It’s always nice to have something to capture the beauty.
- Snacks of course! We decided to picnic-it-up which was a great plan because it helped fuel us on our journey.
- I was really glad I brought my hammock because it gave me a chance to chill in the shade and enjoy a breeze while we were listening to music and eating. Quite relaxing!
Something wonderful about Garden of the Gods is that you can make it as leisurely or as active as you want. Some prefer to just walk and enjoy the scenery, and others (myself included) like to climb up the rocks and go searching for nooks and crannies to explore. Whichever activity you like more, it’s always safest to bring a friend hiking with you in case you need an extra hand or in case you get hurt in some way!
I always love being in nature. And I love being with friends! These are things that make my soul smile, and I try to document as many of these moments as I can. In order to do so, I take as many pictures as I can and I write about these adventures in my journal so that someday I can look back on my memories.
Thanks for reading today friends! I hope this post inspires you to go out in nature and explore. Everyone deserves a happy soul! Take it from this happy soul, just rock climbing with friends in Sienna Sky style!