I am writing this blog on day 23 of the shut down in Italy. At first, I was understandably disappointed at how inconvenient this virus has become, because all I want is freedom. But, as it progressed my mindset matured, and now I just care about the safety and well being of the world’s people through this situation. Of course, I want everything to go back to normal, but until then, I choose to look at this situation with as much positivity as possible.
Here is a list I have come up with about the good things that are coming out of this strange time:
- Reduced carbon emissions: Good news for Mother Earth and anyone who breathes 🙂
- Opportunity to get stuff done: Now that people are stuck in their homes, it’s a great time to work on projects that have been lingering.
- Family time: Think of this as an opportunity to spend quality time with your family members at home! Appreciate what you have. Many people have lost loved ones lately. It is not a burden to be alone with your parents!
- Forces us to get creative: There comes a point where we WILL run out of things to do…. but it becomes the perfect excuse to get creative and maybe start new hobbies or projects!
- Time for meditation and reflection: Everything in this day and age is so fast paced that we have very little time to reflect on our own lives. This is the perfect opportunity to think, let go, be grateful… take the opportunity to become a better version of yourself.
- Helps us not take the little things for granted: When our lives go back to normal (it is going to feel super weird) but we are going to be able to spend time with our friends again, go to the movies, sit in our favorite coffee shops and restaurants. How sweet that will be.
- No school: This could go both ways, but on the bright side, most of us get to sleep in!
- Teaches us to go with the flow: During this shut down, every time I plan something, it gets taken away. Even the small things! I wanted to go for runs more: Illegal. I wanted to walk to work every day: Illegal. This is a time in our lives where we don’t NEED to make plans! Savor it. Allow yourself to slow down.
- Extracurriculars: Extra free time means extra time spent doing things you love to do in your down time!! Wood work, scrapbooking, painting, coloring, playing with your dog! I for one am looking forward to getting back home to practice guitar!
- Consumerism: Many people are unfortunately unemployed right now. So while many of the worlds citizens are not making money right now, it also means we have less things to tempt us to spend money on! There is always a silver lining… just look for it.
- A break from the world: I don’t know about you, reader, but I am constantly feeling pressure to go out and do things to make my life feel more exciting and fulfilled. Now that pressure is reduced because I have no other choice! That’s a reduction of stress right there and I have a feeling I am not the only person in this boat.
- Nature: Right now, lucky for the people at home, it is still legal go to out and exercise. This means that nature is still available for those who are near it! Don’t take that for granted. You never know when the next thing will be taken away.
- Take time to catch up with friends: There should be no excuse to not reach out to your friends right now. Really though.
- Self care: Another essential that frequently gets over looked is self-care. Now that most of us are spending a lot of time at home: take naps, take time to floss, do a face mask, paint your nails. Why not pamper yourself while you can?
It is a hard notion to grasp, but we do not currently have control of our own lives right now. So just sit back, relax, and let it be. Eventually things will go back to normal! Patience is a virtue. Good things will come to those who wait. So just stay home, friends.
Wishing you much health and joy.
With all my heart,